Khatchkars - "Stone Cross"

Khatchkars - "Stone Cross"
Khatchars are everywhere in Armenia; in and around churches, on streets and roads, and out in the countryside. There are tens of thousands all over. Some characteristics of khatchars are that they are seldom symmetrical left to right or top to bottom. This symbolizes the assymetry of the world. The carved background patterns (similar to celtic knots) on many khatchkars have no beggining or end - symbolizing the eterenity of the universe. And, finally, a common practice was to break a small piece of the carving with a chisel. This symbolizes the idea that nothing on earth is perfect. Khatchkars date from at least the middle ages if not earlier. .

Friday, August 10, 2012

AUGUST 8-10 ASHOTSK


Artur, Alla and Mika

Ashotsk is an awesome place and I'm so fortunate to be here in this village of 2,000 people in Northern Armenia just below the Georgia border. I just saw a little paragraph in the Lonely Planet Book about Artur Mikayelyan and his family and contacted them. They have a B&B here and have year-round activities. Artur is the six-time cross-country skiing champion for Armenia, his wife, Alla, was six times the Russian cross-country ski champ and their twenty-year old son, Sergei, is also an Armenian champaion.  All three have competed in the Olympics.  Artur trains the Armenian National team. Their thirteen-year old son, Mika, and I have been having a great time together. It's like hanging out with Kyle when he was 13 and we were learning to ski and back pack. By the way, everyone in the family speaks Armenian, Russian and some English and German.


My Pal

Our big expedition yesterday was to mountain bike 22 kilometers to Lake Arpa.  Artur and Samvel, a friend of Mika's, drove the car with the kayaks and made sure we were OK during the trip.  Mika was my trail buddy. We had a great time talking, joking and biking.
Representing Peninsula College in Northern Armenia.

Cow dung is stacked to dry everywhere. It is burned in the winter for heat. But don't get the idea that this region is separated from the modern world.  Atur and Alla's house has TV, video, internet , Skype etc.etc.  They just have had years of knowing to survive and to not waste anything. 

We then arrived at Lake Arpa which is just a few K below the Georgia border.  We inflated the kayaks - Mika and I in one; Artur and Samvel in the other. We paddled about 3K to an island where we proceeded to play in the rocks and vegetation.  I was thinking about Kristina as we saw familiar (Yarrow and Cow Parsley) and unfamiliar flowers and plants and had a picnic.

Finally, Mika and I headed back to Ashotsk.  Our entire trip was 7 hours long, we biked 45K and paddled about 6K.  I was pretty tired when I got back, but a nap, a sauna and dinner - well, I was a new man.  I love being here and being with this family so much that I'm going to stay an extra day instead of going to Gyumri or back to Yerevan. I needed to be out of the city for a while.
Samvel and me.
Yesterday, when Mika and I were kayaking - he said,"I love my Ashotsk!" He said how beautiful it is, how cold but how much fun it is in the Winter.  How many 13 year olds would say that?  Today, we are going to the forest for an afternoon picnic.  Artur's mother, Nellie, specifically asked if I was coming.  Yes, this is a good place.


5 comments:

Amy said...

What a wonderful experience Bob. I love that you looked up these folks from a blurb in Lonely Planet. What a small world we live in and what an adventurer and humanist you are. Keep on enjoying and sharing.

armenian journey said...

How wonderful that you keep meeting such great people. 3 Olympic competitors in one family! Thanks for posting the pictures and sharing your travels. It is fun to see the places you have been and hear about your adventures.

Leslie said...

Oh, that last entry was from me, Leslie, not Ms Armenian Journey. Maybe I'll get this reply thing down before you get back. You need a 'like' icon to click too : )

Victor said...

Hello! I saw on my papermap over Armenia that there is a symbol of down-hill skiing beside Ashotsk. Is it correct or is it cross-country skiing?? swed116@yahoo.se

Victor said...

I'm from Sweden....